Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Christmas Fun and the End of the World

We are all ready for Christmas in our room!  We have been working hard writing about what we want to give others for Christmas.  

It's easy to write about what we want for Christmas so we decided to write about what we want to give the people we love for Christmas.  

First we came up with some ideas of what we could give our friends and family.  We discussed that just because you want a new bike doesn't mean that mom will want a new bike!  :)  

Here is the class book we made from my Night Before Christmas Activity Pack





Then we wrote about what we could give someone we love for Christmas that doesn't cost any money!  That was tough for some of my kiddos.  Some of them thought of really sweet things.  

My kiddos wrote on a paper that I created in my Night Before Christmas Activity Pack and then I covered it with wrapping paper (their choice of color and pattern of course), bow, and gift tag to make it look like a real present.  

We placed our presents under our Christmas tree.  I got this idea from the wonderful teacher I did my student teaching with.  Here's a couple pictures: 



I told my kiddos that last weekend I spent a lot of time baking and one of the goodies we made were buckeyes.  If you're on Ohioan you already know what these are!  It's peanut butter dipped in chocolate to look like a buckeye and they are delicious!  This girl was excited about giving some buckeyes.  :)

I hope your kiddos are enjoying their last few days before break.  I know we're having lots of fun!  

My kiddos still haven't brought up the Connecticut tragedy, but we did have to discuss the end of the world on Friday.  Apparently the 'big kids' were talking about the blackout that's going to happen on Friday this morning on the bus and that really scared some of my kiddos.  
I told them that NASA says we're safe and we're going to believe them!  

I was/am prepared to discuss the Connecticut tragedy if/when it comes up.  I was not prepared to discuss the end of the world.  I think I reassured them that we would be okay, but I think they're still worried about missing Christmas!!   :)

2 comments:

Miss M said...

I love the idea of choosing a Christmas present that doesn't cost money! So cute :)

If you have time, stop by my blog and check out my giveaway!
Thanks,
Sarah
The Fabulous First Grade

Tammy said...

I love how you're teaching to their hearts. :)
❀ Tammy
Forever in First

Post a Comment