Sunday, March 18, 2012

Welcome to Blog World and Freebie!

I have officially joined blog world!  I have seen so many wonderful ideas, that I thought I would start sharing some of my own.  I still have some work to do on 'my look' but I'll get there!  :)

The first freebie I'm posting is my Poetry Notebook Cover and Table of Contents.  I created this for my first graders this year and they love it.  I hand out two poems every week.  The first one is usually a holiday or seasonal related one.  It's too much fun to read a rhyming poem and add some motions to it!  I don't always pick a rhyming poem, but they love them!  Then, the second one I pass out is usually about a word family or contains certain sight words that we need to practice.  We highlight words that we need to practice and of course we LOVE getting out our highlighters!!!

I hand out the poem and my kiddos know how to put them in their Poetry Notebook and they write the title on the Table of Contents.  They also add a page number to the bottom right hand corner.  This helps us find our poems faster when we go back and read older ones.  

My kiddos take home their Poetry Notebooks every Friday to read over the weekend.  I tell my parents at the very beginning of the year that it's not homework, but something fun to read.  My kiddos love to share their new poems so they don't even think of it as homework.  I also give a small reward for reading over the weekend!  Every little bit helps!  

I'll be back with more to share!  For now, click below and download my first freebie!  :)







6 comments:

Miss DeCarbo said...

Just found your blog and it is SO cute!! :) Love the freebie - thanks so much!


Second Grade Sugar and Spice

luckeyfrog said...

Your blog is adorable! I love your poetry journal cover. I use a poetry collection I found at Just4Teachers (I think that's the blog name?) that follows our Treasures series, which is so awesome. I think next year I want to put them in an actual journal format too! Do you use folders, or how does that work?

(And do your kids actually bring them back?)

Excited to start following you! I just started my blog myself so I know it's tough to be new, but you have a good bloggy friend to link to you! :)

Jenny
Luckeyfrog's Lilypad

Rachel Seymour said...

Hi Jenny- glad you like the poetry notebook cover! My kiddos love their poetry notebooks. Last year, I gave them all a folder with 3 prongs so that their poems made a book. This year, I just used folders that my kiddos brought with them at the beginning of the year. I think next year I'm going to find a sturdier folder so that they hold up better. My kiddos can put their poems in their folders (that takes a lot of modeling and helping at the beginning of the year!!) completely on their own now and they write the titles on the Table of Contents page. And, most of mine bring them back every week. If they don't, then the poems just go in a seat work folder that always stays at school. :)

Hope that helps! I'm heading over now to visit your 'pad'! :)

Tanya Dwyer said...

...just found your cute blog and LOVE the name....very clever! Please come and join my little piece of Dreamlike Magic at http:///www.aplusfirsties.blogspot.com! Has anyone warned you about addictively fun blogging can be? Enjoy!

Tanya:-)

Marissa Tompkins said...

What a cute blog! I just had mine redone by Dreamlike Magic. Welcome to blogging!

WILD About First Grade!

Heather's Heart said...

This is a great *freebie*!

Thank you!

I am a follower to your cute blog! I would love for you to visit me and maybe follow me back! =)

Heather
Heather's Heart

Post a Comment